Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Arrival cont'd..The Project

What is the project of "the Artist"? An Artist..A particular artist..or me? To me. from my viewpoint I live in Post-War consumer culture america. I was a young man in the turbulence of the 60's and 70's where the radical pose experienced a heyday..as the 80's morphed into the 90's so much had now been accomplished that "radicalism as such" now became another lifestyle commodity. It was harder to justify your "refusal" of the bourgeois when blacks, gays, women, the disabled, asians, hispanics, and so on had more access and protection than ever. Anyhow why even THINK that all art aims at radical subversion of the mainstream? Can we just come out now and say "Hey I LIKE Gainsbourough, Vivaldi, Andrew Wyeth..etc.."?
An artist.."I" want recognition, money, "security" a house in Bridgehampton..to be one of the "chosen" showing in the better/best galleries commanding the highest prices..while young enuff to enjoy it..

No comments: