Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Hamptons 1989-1993

I joined the Coast Guard when I was 25, in 1987. They sent me to Cape May for boot camp, Wildwood NJ for first Seaman's station , up to Governor's Island..that's where I studied marine electronics and got to choose my next station. I chose Coast Guard Group (East) Moriches...gateway to the Hamptons and reasonably close to NYC.

My previous experience with the Hamptons had been with Dalton Schools friend, Doug Zang's Summer home in Westhampton. We all used to hang out there fairly often in 11th and 12th grade. So I called up some of those old friends clueless about the area, and asked them what "Mastic Shirley" was like. They joked with me.."Like 'Queens' only more intimate.."..I had alot to learn about the Hamptons...and I did. to be cont-d

No comments: